1 pound Dungeness Crab meat – Buy Here!
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
8 cardamom pods, or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons fenugreek (optional)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions, 1 chopped and 1 sliced
2 cloves of garlic cloves, minced
3 chiles, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1 14- ounce can of coconut milk
1/4 cup grated coconut, fresh preferred
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Make the sauce by toasting coriander, peppercorns, cloves and cardamom pods in a dry skillet until they are fragrant and the coriander just begins to pop. Remove from heat and let cool before grinding in a mortar or spice grinder. Mix with turmeric, cumin and fenugreek.
- Saute the chopped onion, the ginger, and the chiles in the same pan with the oil until soft. Do not let brown. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove onion mixture from heat and put it into a blender. Add the spice mix with 1/4 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
- Pour coconut milk into a pot and heat it over medium-high heat until it simmers. Add sliced onion and grated coconut and let cook for 4 minutes. Add mixture from the blender and mix well, then add the tamarind paste and mix once more.
- Mix in the crab meat and cook until just heated, about 3 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro and serve over rice.