King Crab Legs and Claws with Butter
3lbs king crab – Buy Here
1 cup butter
Pinch of salt
3 tbs extra version olive oil
3 cloves garlic slightly crushed
1 teaspoon parsley minced (optional)
1 sliced lemon for garnish
Thawing Frozen Crab:
It is recommended that crab legs thaw overnight in your refrigerator. If you are in a big hurry, king crab can be thawed under cold running water to speed this up. If you place them on a rack in a watertight container, they can drain as they are defrosting.
Let the water in the bottom of the steamer pot come to a boil, then I add the crab legs in the steamer and cover. The crabs will be heated through when you can smell them. I also pick one up with a tong and touch the meaty part just to be sure that it is indeed warm. The best way to get at the meat is to use scissors. I use the kitchen shears that come with knife sets but you can buy one at any kitchen supply store by itself. Just break the crab apart at the obvious places and then cut down the middle. I also have, but is not necessary, a glove in case the crab is really hot or if it is very spiny.
1. Heat a saucepan using low heat
2. Put-in the butter and allow to melt
3. When the butter is hot enough, add the garlic and cook for a minute (do not brown the garlic)
4. Pour-in the lemon juice and stir then let stand for 15 to 20 seconds
5. Pour-in the extra virgin olive oil, parsley, and salt (as needed) then turn off the heat. Set aside.