Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (Coctel de Camaron)
1 medium onion (white or yellow)
6 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp salt, plus more to taste
1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed except for 6 to place on top as part of the garnish
¾ cup ketchup
¾ cup clam juice
2 to 3 Tbsp lime juice (or to taste)
Mexican hot sauce, to taste
2 roma (plum) tomatoes
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
1 medium size cucumber, seeds removed, diced (about 1 cup)
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 cup chopped cilantro, loosely packed
lime wedges, for serving
cilantro springs, for serving
- Cut onion in half. Dice half and cut the other half into large chunks. Place diced onion in a sieve and run under cold running water; drain.
- Fill a saucepan with water. Add onion chunks, garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp, turn off heat and let sit 1 minute or until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Drain and let shrimp cool.
- Discard onion and garlic.
- Combine ketchup, clam juice, lime juice and hot sauce.
- In another bowl, combine cooled shrimp, tomatoes, diced onion, jalapeño, cucumber, celery, avocado and cilantro.
- Pour dressing over shrimp and vegetable combination, toss to coat. Serve in large, wide-rimmed glasses with a shrimp (with tail) on top. Garnish with a lime wedge and cilantro springs.