Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time40 mins
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup flour
1 cup water
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon annatto powder
1 pound bean sprouts
2 carrots, peeled and julienned
4 shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
½ pound Gulf shrimp
1/2 cup cane vinegar
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 bird’s eye chile, minced
1. In a big bowl, combine egg, cornstarch, flour, water, fish sauce, salt, and pepper. Whisk together until well-blended and smooth. Add annatto powder and stir until batter is a light color.
2. Add bean sprouts, carrots, and shallots. Stir to combine.
3. Heat 3 inches of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, combine the cane vinegar, fish sauce, minced garlic, and bird’s eye chile to create the spiced vinegar. Set aside.
4. On a large spoon, place about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the okoy mixture and press 1 to 3 shrimp on top.
5. Gently place mixture into the oil and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
6. Remove okoy from heat and drain on a wire rack.
7. Enjoy! Dip into spiced vinegar.