Gulf Shrimp Paella
1 lb raw Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined – Buy Now!
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cups Bomba rice or short grain rice, soaked in water for 15 minutes and then drained
3 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp saffron threads, crumbled
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp Ancho chile pepper
Kosher salt (to taste)
2 large Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
1 medium red pepper, chopped
6 oz green peas
Fresh parsley, chopped (optional
- In a large deep pan or skillet, heat 3 Tbsp olive oil. Turn the heat to medium-high and add the chopped onions.
- Saute the onions for 2 minutes then add the rice and red pepper, cook for 3 more minutes, stirring regularly. Now add the chopped garlic and the chicken broth.
- Stir in the saffron, paprika, cayenne pepper, ancho chile pepper, and salt to taste.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and green peas.
- Bring to a boil and let the liquid slightly reduce, then cover with lid and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and spread the shrimp over the rice, pushing it into the rice slightly. Add a little water if needed.
- Cover and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes until the shrimp turns pink.
- Garnish with parsley (optional). Serve the paella hot.