Popcorn Shrimp with Homemade Marinara Sauce
1 lb raw warmwater shrimp, peeled & tail-off – Buy Now!
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup grated parmesan
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 large egg
Makes 6 servings
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 ½ tsp minced garlic
1 can of crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
1 tsp oregano (dried or fresh)
1 tsp basil (dried or fresh)
½ tsp pepper
Salt to taste
To Prepare Popcorn Shrimp:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Rinse shrimp, pat dry, and set aside.
- In small shallow dish mix panko, parmesan, and spices.
- Beat egg in second shallow dish.
- Working with 1 shrimp at a time: Dip a shrimp in egg until completely covered then transfer to breadcrumbs and toss until covered. Place on baking sheet. Repeat until all shrimp have been breaded.
- Spray shrimp with cooking spray, this will help brown the shrimp.
- Bake for 3 minutes, flip the shrimp, and bake for another 3 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
- Serve with our homemade marinara dipping sauce.
To Prepare Homemade Marinara Sauce:
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic in the skillet and continue to sauté for an extra 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, and pepper. Bring sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat. Then lower the heat to keep sauce at a low simmer for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the ingredients until smooth. Can be blended in a regular blender in batches as well.
- Add salt to taste. Serve warm. (This sauce keeps for up to 4 days in the refrigerator and up to 6 months in the freezer.)