- Skin-on, boneless salmon (fillet or full side)
- Rock salt
- Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup whole peppercorns
- 1 cup dill, chopped
- Green onions (for garnish)
For cream sauce:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Your cure should be 1:1 in ratio between salt and sugar, and weigh approximately half of the mass of your salmon.
- Grind peppercorns with mortar and pestle.
- Combine peppercorns with salt, sugar, and dill.
- Place 2 pieces of cling wrap on a work surface, slightly overlapped. Spread half the cure mixture in the shape of the salmon. Place salmon on the cure, skin side down. Top with remaining cure mixture.
- Wrap with cling wrap and place in a large dish. Top with something flat (like a pan) and weigh it down. Refrigerate for 12 hours. Flip and refrigerate for 12 more hours. Repeat the process once more for a total of a 36-hour cure.
- Unwrap the salmon, scrape off the cure then rinse. Pat dry. For best taste, return to the fridge for 6 hours uncovered.
- Mix cream sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Slice the gravlax thin. Garnish with green onions. Serve and enjoy!