16 oysters, fresh or jarred
Canola oil, for deep frying
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
4 cups shredded green cabbage
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Sauce of your choice: tonkatsu or tartar
Salt and pepper
- Extract oyster meat and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill a medium pot with 1-2 cups of canola oil. Heat to 350F.
- In three separate shallow bowls, add flour in one, beaten eggs in another, and panko in the last.
- Coat each oyster first in flour, then the egg, and finally the panko.
- Fry oysters until brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Oysters will float in the oil when done. Drain on wire rack or with paper towels.
- Serve with cabbage and lemon wedges with the sauce of your choice. Enjoy!